Tuesday, March 20, 2012

an interior you can't get enough of: Miller House

I devoured the March issue of Matchbook Mag (... what else is new?). I especially liked the feature on cover girl Trina Turk: her poolside lounge wear... sleek and chic bob... LA home... but I digress. What really caught my eye (in addition to the swoons mentioned above) was her mention of Indiana. YES! The great Hoosier state, finally recognized.

A bit more context to Trina's Indiana reference: when asked for one interior she "can't get enough of", she answered with the Indiana residence of Irwin Miller. After she described the home as "perfection" and a "a mix of cool, modernist architecture, ethnic textiles, and objects and splashes of color"---I knew I had to do a little investigating.






















And what I found was a beauty! Located in his hometown of Columbus, Indiana (a mere hour from my own hometown), the stunning Miller House was designed by architect Eero Saarinen and reflects Miller's love of modernist architecture.





















I wish I could say all Indiana houses looked like this, but alas Miller House is definitely one of a kind! It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 2000 and is now part of the Indianapolis Museum of Art.





















I love the pops of color and easiness of the layout and decor. I think Trina's description of the space is so spot-on!

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 

2 comments:

  1. Drooling! Is this a private home or open for a social media team tour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes--open for a tour! I think we need to take a field trip...

      Delete